Friends of Jessop PTA
At Jessop we are committed to working in close partnership with parents to ensure they are happy with their child's education and progress. We believe it is important that parents are involved in their child's education and we actively encourage parents involvement in the school, wherever possible.
We communicate with parents through a regular text alert system, informing parents of upcoming events and assemblies at the school. We also send home regular newsletters and have established a Parent Forum which meets regularly to discuss and resolve any potential issues parents may have.
My daughter is thriving at Jessop. The school really does cater for every child's individual needs.
Parent at Jessop Primary School.
- OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS OF THE PTA
At our AGM in November 2018, we elected the following officers and ordinary committee members:
- Chair - Jeannine Woollard
- Secretary - Amy Ross
- Treasurer - Laura Johnson
Ordinary committee members
- Jules Yong
- Amit Kulkarni
- Mala Shah-Coulon
The officers and committee members are able to co-opt new committee members and welcome new parents to join the Committee. The Committee meets at least once a term.
If you are wondering what we generally get up to, here is a summary. Events may vary year on year but we seek to have at least 3 events in a school year. Of course we can run bigger and better events with more help from all of you!
Event purpose / How you can help
Quiz night and AGM
We had a fun quiz night for parents and teachers in November 2018 and hope to make this an annual fixture as it also
provides a chance for parents and teachers to socialise informally.
The annual general meeting (AGM) is an opportunity for all parents to come along and hear in more detail about what we did in the year and the funds raised and how they will be used. It is also when you can have a say in electing our new committee.
Coming up on 7 December 2018 so mark it in your diary now!
This is a great afternoon of festive fun for families at the school usually held on a Friday afternoon. Volunteers are needed in the weeks before the event to help find raffle prizes from local businesses, find external suppliers interested in selling goods at the fete, and plan the fair. On the day we need help with setting up stalls before the fair opens, running them, and clearing up.
As above, but held in the summer. This event is usually held on a Friday afternoon. Volunteer tasks will be very similar to those listed above.
Depending on the exact nature of the event, we usually need volunteers to help out at the event itself as well as before and after, and to bring a few things like snacks or soft drinks, decorations etc.
Dates for your diaries: Please check the school calendar by clicking this link < >, however upcoming events are as follows:
- 7 December 2018 –Winter fair
How can you help? Many hands make light work!
Even with a small amount of free time all parents and members of the school community can help out:
- Volunteer to help at school events. Help is always needed (before and at events), great fun to give and highly appreciated
- Use your skills (e.g. craft, face painting, cooking etc.) to help run a stall at our events
- Come along and support our events
- Give us feedback and suggestions on events and spending of funds
- Get your employer:
- to provide a raffle prize
- sponsor an event/ provide printing etc
- provide “matched giving or matched funding” – As our PTA is now legally set up as a charity, matched giving or matched funding is a simple way of maximising our fundraising efforts. If your employer offers this, you can ask them to pledge a sum of money relating to the amount you have raised (e.g. running a stall) or donated to the PTA.
- Decisions on how to spend the money raised are agreed by the Committee (with input from the school’s senior leadership team and pupils as appropriate).
- Our Constitution commits the PTA to spend money on things that will benefit the children directly and in the main, will be used for the ‘extras’ not provided by the school budget, that make our children’s learning experiences so much more fulfilling and exciting.
- PTA funds are not generally spent on improving the fabric of the school building as this is the responsibility of the school’s governing body.
REVIEW OF 2017/18
We were formed in November 2017 and have had an amazing first-year thanks to hard work by the committee, help from volunteers, and support from the teachers and TAs.
- We applied to the Charity Commission to become a registered charity and are delighted that as of October 2018, we are officially a registered charity (no.1180374). This comes with many benefits which the Committee will seek to explore fully through the course of 2018/19.
- We had a successful year of events:
- a quintessential quiz night in November 2017, where the first committee was also elected. A similar fun quiz night where over 35 of you attended was also held in November 2018 where we elected our committee as noted above.
- a super spring disco in March 2018- one we hope will be the first of many! We innovated and replaced the traditional spring fair with this disco which was a great hit.
- a sizzling summer fair in July 2018 where we expanded over 2 floors due to having more volunteers
- From a financial perspective, we have our own bank account and are able to track with accuracy the success of our events – thanks to beady-eyed Eugene, our treasurer. With all the above events, we have successfully managed to raised £3xxx in the first year of operation which we are very proud of. With input from the school leadership team as well as the children, we have agreed that we would use a large part of these funds to refurbish the stage in the main hall.
- While we recognise there is more to do, we made significant efforts to ensure that the FoJ community is properly representative of the diversity of Jessop Primary. To this end, we are very pleased to now have Nanda and Jeannine on board (elected in November 2018 at our first AGM) and will continue to work towards being more diverse and inclusive.
- PLEASE GET IN TOUCH!
- Email us! Questions, offers of help, and your feedback/ideas on events and fundraising are very welcome! Please get in touch by emailing: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter @friendsofjessop